Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 July 2014

MDF Tree Bark



                                                                                                   




As a response to the texture, colour and shape of tree bark, I created this small piece which I particularly like because of its realism. I used MDF wood (particularly hard to sculpt) and cut the jagged outline of a broken-off piece of bark. Then using fine chisels, I took away material gradually, created depth/levels in the artificial layers of the wood and imprinted knot-like lines. For extra effect, I used an electric engraver to get a kind of grain in the wood. To complete the look, I stained the wood which naturally came out in tonal shades - fibrous sections lighter and glossier, flat sections darker. I hope to refine this technique in future set model designs. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment